14 Focus Points - B2B eCommerce
Empower Search (Focus Pt. 4)
Friday, July 07, 2023
Layer One - Director of Marketing - Adrian Folsom
As B2B eCommerce continues to grow, businesses are seeking ways to make their online stores more efficient and effective for customers. One key aspect of this is configuring search functionality to make it easy for customers to find what they are looking for. In this article, we will explore some tips for configuring search for B2B eCommerce.
- Understand your customers. The first step in configuring search for B2B eCommerce is to understand your customers. What are their needs and preferences? What are the most common search terms they use? By understanding your customers, you can tailor your search functionality to meet their needs. For example, if your customers often search for products by brand name, you can configure your search to prioritize results containing that brand name.
- Use facet filters. Filters are a great way to help customers narrow down their search results. By allowing customers to filter by product category, price range, brand, or other criteria, you can help them find exactly what they are looking for. Make sure your filters are easy to use and clearly labeled.
- Optimize your product data. Your search functionality is only as good as the information it has to work with. Make sure your product descriptions and technical fields are detailed and accurate, including important information like product dimensions, materials, and specifications. This will help your search function return more relevant results.
- Use synonyms. Customers may use different terms to search for the same product. For example, someone searching for “sink” may also use the term “basin.” By using synonyms, you can ensure that your search function returns relevant results no matter what term the customer uses.
- Implement predictive search. Predictive search is a feature that suggests search terms as the customer types. This can help customers find what they are looking for faster and can also help them discover products they may not have otherwise considered. Make sure your predictive search is accurate and relevant to your customers’ needs.
- Understand when and where to use boosting. Boosting can be an effective tool to produce the right search results for your customers. By configuring the “importance” of different fields, you can help your search engine understand where search terms will carry more weight.
- Monitor search analytics. Finally, it’s important to monitor your search analytics to see how your search function is performing. Look for patterns in search terms and adjust your search functionality accordingly. This will help ensure that your customers are finding what they need and that your online store is meeting their needs.
In conclusion, configuring search for B2B eCommerce is an important aspect of creating an effective online store. By understanding your customers, using filters, optimizing your product descriptions, using synonyms, implementing predictive search, and monitoring search analytics, you can create a search function that is efficient and effective for your customers.
Layer One are expert in maximizing B2B eCommerce search. We have extensive experience implementing, customizing, and building features for search on multiple platforms.
Empower Search is the fourth of Layer One's
To see the other 13, get the B2B eCommerce Distributors Success Guide!
Interested in learning more?Contact Us