Getting final Sitecore configurations anywhere, anytime, with Sitecore ConfigBuilder
Friday, February 19, 2021
Layer One - Software Developer - John Pires
Sitecore ConfigBuilder is an open source tool that allows you to assemble all Sitecore configuration files in a directory and output the configuration file that would actually be used by Sitecore. It doesn't need to be installed; just copy a few files and run the .exe. Normally this would be accomplished by using the /sitecore/admin/ShowConfig.aspx functionality, but that is not always an option.
- For instance, what if you have a Sitecore 8.2 site and are getting configuration errors on the Content Delivery Server, but not the Content Management server? In Sitecore 9+ you can utilize /sitecore/admin/ShowConfigLayers.aspx and select Content Delivery, but that is not possible in lower versions.
- Or what if you did a fresh check out of a project from source control. You need to know what the final config looks like but can't even get the project to build, much less deploy locally.
- What if the you need to validate that all of the currently deployed configuration files were actually used to build the currently deployed web.config?
- Or maybe you need to deploy a patch file and you want to preview the configuration file to make sure it will be patched exactly as expected.
- Perhaps you have backups of production and need to see the final configuration without taking the time to set it up locally.
Whatever the reason, Sitecore ConfigBuilder is an easy to use tool that lets you view the single summarized configuration file that will eventually be assembled. All you need are the files.
Simply choose the site web.config file in your solution directory and click save. You will be prompted for a save location and Sitecore ConfigBuilder will generate the showconfig.xml file.
Sitecore ConfigBuilder is certainly a situational tool. However those situations do occur from time to time, and when they do, this is a good tool to have.
Interested in learning more?Contact Us